Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Will Rogers

 I don't know whether Will Rogers was a Republican or a Democrat, a Conservative or a Liberal. I do know that he considered himself a political man. I also know he is famed for saying, "I never met a man I didn't like."


I do know that he was so well liked that radio networks were silenced for half an hour to observe his death. More than 50,000 people walked past his open casket. His statue was placed in our capitol so that he could "Keep an eye on Congress."


He was proud of of his ties to the Cherokee Nation and knew what that people had suffered in the Civil War.


He once wrote, "You can be killed just as dead in n unjustified war as you can in one protecting your own home." I don't remember the context, but it still sounds true to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment