Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Abu Dhabi Is There

If I live long enough, I'd like to post about each of the Emirates. Now I'll mention a couple of details about their common background. The history of the people there and the southern end of the great Arab Peninsula is very long. But now I'm trying to remember a bit of their contemporary  history. It begins in my memory with English traders cruising that area. The Arabs there were a seagoing people and I can imagine them seeing the English ships as threats and targets. Soon they found themselves resisting the greatest sea-power the world had known. Britain Rule the waves.

The sheikdoms or emirates of the area made treaties and then truces with the English guns.
From about 1820 to about 1968 they came to be known as the Trucial States and then as a British 'protectorate.' By 1972 they were again independent as the United Arab Emirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment