Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Prince and the Coyote

J. Frank Dobie is a big hearted Texan, an intelligent interpreter of the American South west, and a darn good writer.

In a 1947 work of his called The Voice of the Coyote I've encountered a name I didn't remember, Prince Kropotkin. I find that in about 1890 Prince Peter Kropotkin wrote Mutual Aid. He wrote to counter the greed and heartlessness of interpreters of Darwin's attempt to explain changes in species over space and time. We have come to call those certain interpreters, social Darwinists. Those social Darwinists would understand and appreciate the greed, in the guise of free enterprise, abroad in our world today.

I don't remember my teachers mentioning Kropotkin. You may find the words about him in Wikipedia interesting.

Kropotkin and Dobie both seemed to have great appreciation for inclusive, practical, and generous cooperation; as do I.

Prince Kropotkin's Mutual Aid contains examples of supportive cooperation among animals as does Dobie's The Voice of the Coyote.

I recommend the works of J. Frank Dobie for low tasty reading. The Voice of the Coyote may be a great place to start. But his works such as Coronado's Children, A Texan in England, or Apache Gold nd Yaqui Silver may suit you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment