After class I gathered the electronic pieces which proposed to bring me cable TV programs.
I returned them to the cable company. On the way home from this chore I stopped at our little local library to inquire about audio books. My sister had recently reminded me of their existence. She had told me that she and my brother-in-law gotten a great deal of pleasure from them.
The helpful Liberian said yes, they existed. And that no, that the library didn't have much of what could rightly be called literature, though they once had an audio copy of Jane Eyre.
I didn't know what kind of book I wanted and didn't have my glasses with me. I grabbed up four books, went home, and put one in the CD player. I found it painful to try to listen to. It said 'said' and 'said' again and little more. I was by a Robert B. Parker and call High Profile. I was disappointed. The next 'book' was Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I knew the name. To me it seemed Brown had small knowledge of history, religion, or science. I was disgusted.
I tried a third book and found it charming. I found it a beautiful marvel of sentiment and understanding. It is by one of the many authors I do not know. His name is Andromeda Romano-Lax. I imagine that the original is in Spanish.
If that's the case it is very well translated to English. The reader is Paul Michael and he treats the work well, with a great deal of transparency even though he uses a bit of an accent.
The story is bringing me tears, smiles, and a deep feeling of gratitude for that which we humans are from time to time capable.
Just now, looking at what serves for a book jacket, I see that the work is said to have been inspired by the life of Pablo Casals
The Spanish Bow
No comments:
Post a Comment